One Sydneysiders perspective on British (and continental) nosh

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Taking a bite out of the Big Apple

So, a recent gap of six whole days between leaving IBM and starting at BAH allowed me to visit my favourite American city, New York. For four days, all I did was shop & eat :)

It was brilliant - there are lots of things I wish there had been time for (MOMA, ice skating at the Rockefeller centre, winter views around Central Park, walking across Brooklyn Bridge .. but I am definitely going back there again :) And thanks to local residentes Niki and Sarah (who were also kind enough to let me stay with them - thanks!!) we discovered some local gastronomic delights:

Ruby's
Where: 219 Mulberry St near the cnr of Spring St
A little piece of Australia in the Big Apple - a decent latte and sticky date pudding! Definitely a hole in the wall place which wouldn't sit more than sixteen people - I ate here last time I was in NY and it's as good as I remember :) Plus it's walking distance to the young designers market ..

Bourgeois Pig
Where: 122 E 7th St btw 1st Avenue and Avenue A
Fondue heaven. A Sarah&Niki gem with Moulin Rouge style music and lighting, comfortable sofas and delicious champagne cocktails. We sampled the Italian five cheese and the white and dark chocolate - both were excellent.

Momofuku
Where: 163 First Ave btw 10th and 11th
This noodle bar was rated in every guide I saw about food in NY. Simple food done with quality ingredients such as Berkshire pork. I loved the communal eating table, ramen noodles, sake recommendation and attentive service.

Room 4 Dessert
Where: 17 Cleveland Place btw Spring and Kenmare
BA's inflight magazine mentioned this restaurant as a place which only served dessert - a concept I had to witness for myself. It was perfect. You sit at a long bar and choose from smal desserts served in glasses, or mini smorgasboards with inventive names like choc'n'awe. There are dessert wines, wines and cocktails to pair with each dessert and our service was absolutely amazing, possibly some of the best I've ever experienced .. this is definitely a must-visit.

Gramercy Tavern
Where: 42 East 20th St.
Wow. On my last night in NY, Niki managed to score us a last minute reservation to Gramercy Tavern. I loved the old school charm of the place - a top restaurant that feels like it has been around for several generations (and in a good way). Plus we spotted Jim from the American version of the Office :) The three course meal was excellent - and again top marks for service when Sarah couldn't decide between two desserts and they brought both of them out for her! The finishing touch was a breakfast muffin for the next day to complete the experience. Yummm!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home